Rainbow of Readers
Welcome to 1000 Books before Kindergarten! This free program encourages you to read 1000 books with your child before he or she enters school – a goal experts say children need to help them learn to read for themselves.
Here are the easy steps for participation:
- Get your packet from any Willoughby-Eastlake Public Library Children's desk.
- Read together!
- Fill out your We Build a Rainbow of Readers sheet. For each book you read together, color in a raindrop. You can also write down the titles of your favorites. If you read a book more than once, you can record it each time. Books read at library storytime, at daycare or by others to your child also count!
- When you finish 100 books, bring your sheet to the library and:
- Receive a sticker for your completed page
- Place a special sticker on our Rainbow of Reading mural
- Collect your next recording sheet
Repeat steps 1-3 and receive a different sticker and recording sheet at each level.
We have special surprise rewards along the way for your child. After finishing 1000 books, your child:
- Gets an awesome jumpstart on success in school.
- Receives a free book and a certificate.
- Has his or her name placed on our Rainbow Wall of Fame.
This club has no end date except your child’s going to school, so don’t feel rushed – just enjoy the experience! Take every chance you have to read with your children, tell and talk about stories, say nursery rhymes, sing songs, and attend library programs. By reading just three stories a day you and your child will have read over 1000 books in one year. You will also have shared many special moments along the way.